Sunday, February 20, 2011

Fashionably Social

I don't know about you, but when I log onto Facebook and see Nordstrom's post about the latest fashion trend I feel a surge of excitement. Nordstrom’s genius tips on how to wear these trends have me searching the pages of their online website for the latest pumps and a handbag to match. I guess you could call me a devoted customer (or a shopaholic), but you can also note that their social media marketing has been effective in my case.
  Nordstrom is not the only company to jump on the social media bandwagon. Almost every major company has established a Facebook page. The goal is to create a large following base that will “like” you and keep up with the latest promotions thereby generating a large customer base. Although social media networks allow people to connect to brands and retailers with ease, simply “liking” a company does not necessarily mean that this networking has been effective. What good is a “like” without a purchase, or at the very least a store visit?  
The effectiveness of social media marketing depends on the ability to keep the customers’ attention. While some people still prefer traditional methods of interaction with brands, social media networking can help to get more people into a store or onto a website.  It’s all about engaging the customer and making them feel special. Take Nordstrom for example, who posted the following on Facebook a few weeks back:
This post got 55 “likes” and 35 comments. While the effectiveness of the “likes” has yet to be determined, the comments prove that followers felt engaged enough to post their responses on Nordstrom’s page. These comments created a connection between the followers and Nordstrom that would not have been possible without social media. Let’s face it, social media marketing is here to stay and we as followers can either embrace it or shun it.
 So, what spring trends am I most excited to wear? Killer wedges, white denim, and romantic blouses.
Sources:

5 comments:

  1. My question to you is if Nordstroms postings about the latest trends, sales, promos, etc are enough to keep you engaged? Do you feel a connection to Nordstrom? I've seen on some similar posts that people feel the connection when they would ask a question to a company and the company would answer. I know personally for the sites I "like" or "follow" that simple status updates that appear in my news feed regarding things such as the daily special or upcoming sales is good enough for me. What about you?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I completly agree with you post. On my facebook I "like" this clothes boutique that I love to go to and sometimes they provide incentives like 50% merchandise to the first 100 "likes", you can imagine how many likes and comments can come on after that and how many people are just waiting till they post something similar so many people (including me) are waiting till they post something. I believe it is very important for other companies to do the same so they may attract more customers.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I think Nordstrom is doing a great job by asking it's followers and fans what they expect to see. This is definitely a good way to get some feedback and maybe make some educated forecasts about what they should carry and be prepared to have in stock. Social Media is a great tool to keep in touch with what your public needs, I know that I always like to answer those type of questions because it makes me feel like my opinion matters and that they value my support.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Kelcy,

    This is a great example that those who target their audiences with relevant material are likely to get the attention that they desire. The nice thing about the high number of "likes" in this case is that they will likely influence casual readers to check out what is liked so much. As for the high number of comments, it shows even more engagement.

    Erica's comment regarding asking questions brings up a more interactive aspect of this potential engagement. Would Nordstrom (or any other firm) be interactive when it comes to questions about their Facebook posts? Or would they just leave it for other fans to answer? (Or would they never even notice?) And if those questions went unanswered, would that leave a bit of negative affect (i.e., negative emotion) for the potential customer?

    Great blogging! (And comments!)
    Anthony
    e-marketingforsensiblefolk.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. Going back to what Erica was asking...

    I myself was looking for a swimming suite online a couple of weeks ago. I was a bit indecisive about buying it but still decided to contact the firm in relation to the size. I was surprised when they replied in the same day not only answering my questions but also offering advice about similar products that I would like. The style of the message was welcoming and friendly and it made all my worries go away! Totally successful marketing strategy!

    Now, my only doubt in relation to the Facebook business pages is that firms are starting to loose their plan. "The aim is to promote and that’s what we do". But in the end both website and Facebook page have the same information. This doesn't necessarily have to be bad but I think Facebook has many other advantages that they are not using.

    For instance, both the chat and the comments are powerful tools that aren’t being used. Imagine getting a comment on Facebook of (ex) Victoria Secret with quotes, interesting facts or information that they know you will like (because now a days they know everything!) To me it would be pleasing because I like the brand. However the problem arises when you sense it as an intrusion. And there is where firms need to know where to place the line.

    ReplyDelete